Guidance for Mentors
If you are already a Mentor or are thinking about putting yourself forward,here you’ll find all the information you need.
In our Guidance for Mentors we explain what’s involved in becoming a Mentor and how to put yourself forward. If you are already a Mentor you will find guidance and documents to help.
Thinking of becoming a Mentor?
The ARA Registration Scheme is always looking for new Mentors. A Mentor offers support by:
- talking with candidates two to four times each year.
- attending a Registration Scheme Workshop to learn how the scheme works
- listening to the candidate, helping them to identify learning outcomes and solutions to difficulties
- offering advice based on their own knowledge and experience
- writing a reference on the candidate's development and skills consistent with professional competence.
Who can be a Mentor?
A mentor can be any registered member of the Archives and Records Association who:
- has a wide range or significant depth of up to date skills
- is willing to share their experience and has the time to do so
- has a good understanding of the profession and where it is going
- has a genuine interest in supporting newer recruits in their continuing professional development.
Please download our Information for Mentors to find out more about the role, the benefits and the commitment involved.
Each new mentor is now sent a pack containing the latest information and guidance about the Scheme:
- Registration Scheme contacts list
- Guide part 4: Mentors
- The Assessment criteria
- Writing the Reference
- Portfolio Checklist
- Annual Feedback from the Assessors
- Registrar's Five Top Tips!
Is your Candidate about to submit their Portfolio?
Portfolio Checklist. A brief checklist for mentors to candidates about to submit their portfolio for assessment including tips on learning outcomes, evidence, presentation and final checklist.
All mentors are encouraged to attend the Registration Scheme Workshops. Please see our ARA Training Events Calendar for more details as they are available.
A "Blitz-it" Workshop for candidates who have been enrolled on the scheme for more than 5 years and need some extra help to get their portfolio ready for submission is now available. As well as providing a reminder of the key aspects of the Scheme, this surgery style workshop will provide an opportunity for candidates and their mentors to have a one-to-one discussion about their portfolio with the Registrar and an experienced Assessor. Please see our ARA Training Events Calendar for more details as they are available.