The Archives & Records Association both holds and participates in many events throughout the year. Below you will see our complete programme of regional and themed training events with booking details
ARA Section for Archives and Museums training day, 21st January 2020
‘The same, but different': Museum Collection Management for Archivists
This is your chance to attend this popular training session originally held at Tate Britain in May 2019. The session was developed following the over-subscribed spring 2018 special issue of the ARA journal, Archives and Records, on the topic of archives and museums and the well-received January 2019 issue of the ARA’s monthly magazine ARC.
The session covers exhibition planning, object labelling, collections care and documentation within the museum sector. Attendees will gain an understanding of the current issues and trends in the sector, as well as developments in collection care standards governing the care of objects.
This training day is ideal for archivists managing objects within their collections. It is also beneficial for archivists working in museums who would like to learn more about the museum sector and how museums manage their collections.
Location: University of Bristol Theatre Collection
Format: Lecture style
Trainer: Anita Hollinshead
Refreshments: tea, coffee and refreshments provided at intervals. Lunch is not provided, but delegates are welcome to bring their own or purchase lunch from one of the campus’ nearby eateries.
Free guided tours of the University of Bristol’s Theatre Collections are included as part of the training day package.
• 9.30-10.00 Registration
• 10.00-10.05 Welcome and Housekeeping
• 10.05-10.35 – Section for Archives and Museums meeting
• 10.40-11.25 Museum standards – SPECTRUM, PAS 197 and 198, Benchmarks in Collections Care, Museum Accreditation etc.
• 11.25-11.45 Break (tea and coffee)
• 11.45-12.15 Current issues and trends in the museum sector
• 12.15-12.45 Tour of the University of Bristol Theatre Collection
• 12.45-13.45 Lunch (bring your own or try the local eateries nearby)
• 13.45-14.30 Documentation (eg SPECTRUM compliance: object entry, cataloguing/thesauri, movement control/UK Registrars’ Group templates/Smarter Loans etc.)
• 14.30-15.15 Collection care for mixed collections (including labelling and marking objects)
• 15.15-15.30 Break (tea and coffee)
• 15.30-16.30 Planning exhibitions and displays
• 16.30-17.00 Questions and discussion
• 17.00 Close
ARA members: £50.00
Non-ARA members £60.00
Date & TimeJan 21 2020 at 09:30 AM - Jan 21 2020 at 05:00 PM
Location & full addressUniversity of Bristol Theatre Collection. Bristol, BS1 5LT
Event AdminsLorraine Logan