Section for Preservation and Conservation
Welcome to the Section for Preservation and Conservation
The group's aims are:
To promote information exchange and contact between members with an interest in preservation and conservation.
To participate in the development and delivery of training in the field and to provide support to members with training events.
- To encourage research within the practice of archive conservation, the nature of archival materials and the causes of their deterioration.
- To monitor developments in the field and to co-operate with other organisations with similar aims.
In the following pages you will find details of:
- the section representatives and who to contact for help.
- the section news, activities, training and events
- minutes of section meetings
- supporting resources
Call for Papers
The ARA Archive Conservation Training Scheme is sending out a call for papers for its up and coming lecture week. This popular event primarily provides talks aimed at student conservators but is open to all members of the archive community and anyone who has a responsibility for the care, preservation and conservation of archive, library or museum collections.
We are calling for papers covering topics such as (but are not restricted to) -
- Book, paper, parchment, photographic and/or archive conservation case studies
- Surveying collections
- Testing/identifying materials
- Health and safety/using COSHH
- Exhibitions and loans
- Emergency planning
- Environmental control/IPM
- Film and sound archives
- Examination and identification of photographs/prints
- Conservation science
- Portfolio and interview techniques
- Conservation advocacy
This year the lecture week will be fully virtual and all speakers will present from the comfort of their own home or workplace via Zoom in a webinar format, all papers will be pre-recorded. Papers are requested to be between 20 and 30 minutes long and will be followed by time for a Q&A held live after the sessions.
Closing date for submissions: 31st August 2021
Approximate date for lecture week: November 2021
- Kindly supplied by Victoria Stevens ACR is a list of useful resources Resources Roundup for Covid 19 response compiled by Victoria Stevens ACR
- We are now producing a monthly news update called Conservation Today.
Would you like to find out more or join this Section?
If you have a general enquiry or would like to join this Section then please contact us.
Please get involved!
If you wish to engage with us or find others working in Archives, Conservation or Record Managers working in your Section or Region take a look at our ARA Community area, build your profile and start discussing!