Section for Preservation and Conservation
Welcome to the Section for Preservation and Conservation
The group's aims are:
To promote information exchange and contact between members with an interest in preservation and conservation.
To participate in the development and delivery of training in the field and to provide support to members with training events.
- To encourage research within the practice of archive conservation, the nature of archival materials and the causes of their deterioration.
- To monitor developments in the field and to co-operate with other organisations with similar aims.
In the following pages you will find details of:
- the section representatives and who to contact for help.
- the section news, activities, training and events
- minutes of section meetings
- supporting resources
Virtual Training Programme 2020 (organised by Annie Starkey and Fay Humphreys)
ARA’s Section for Preservation and Conservation are pleased to announce their first online series of talks on the subject of parchment and stationery bindings which has been enthusiastically received by conservators worldwide.
The first talk was by Ann-Marie Miller of Codex Conservation who kicked us off with her presentation Make, Mend & Do…The Conservation of 4 Eighteenth-Century Parchment Stationery Bindings.
The next speaker of this series was Victoria Stevens ACR of Library and Archive Conservation and Preservation Ltd. Presenting Dispatches from Fleet Street: Conserving the Perkins Bacon Delivery Books.
The final speaker in this series was Katherine Beaty of Harvard Library's Weissman Preservation Center. She talked to us about Tacketed Stationery Bindings of the Harvard Business School Medici Collection and their Conservation.
Our final event will conclude with a Q&A session with our hosts on 4th September 2020.
- Kindly supplied by Victoria Stevens ACR is a list of useful resources Resources Roundup for Covid 19 response compiled by Victoria Stevens ACR
- We are now producing a monthly news update called Conservation Today.
Would you like to find out more or join this Section?
If you have a general enquiry or would like to join this Section then please contact us.
Please get involved!
If you wish to engage with us or find others working in Archives, Conservation or Record Managers working in your Section or Region take a look at our ARA Community area, build your profile and start discussing!