News and Events
The committee would like to wish all our members, colleagues and friends good health during the Covid-19 outbreak, and we hope that you are all well and managing to continue to work remotely during this challenging time.
SAM Section Meetings
The Section for Archives and Museums (SAM) held their AGM programme for 2021 on 21st May 2021.
The AGM was held online via Teams at 11 am on 21st May 2021 and included a training event, In Conversation With: Challenges and Solutions of Documenting Mixed Collections. This one-hour session followed the AGM, and formed a panel discussion between invited guests who discussed their experiences of documenting and cataloguing mixed collections.
- Documenting Mixed Collections Slides
- Alfred Gillet Trust catalogue examples
- Glasgow School of Art catalogue examples
- Links and further information
- Thursday 30th September 2021, 8-9pm - Archive Hour on Twitter: guest hosting session. Theme: Transferable Skills
- SAM Podcast – Free podcast, new episodes promoted via the SAM mailing list and the Archives NRA Jiscmail - Upcoming episode topics include: trade unions, negotiating for pay, getting started in the heritage sector
- For more information on our podcasts, please see the SAM Podcast page
Upcoming training workshops
- Friday 24th September 2021, How to Safely Handle, Pack, Move and Store Small Objects - led Anita Hollinshead, via Teams - ARA Events Online Booking
- Friday 8th October 20201, Marking and Labelling Objects (and their Containers) - led Anita Hollinshead, via Teams - ARA Events Online Booking
- Monday 7th June 7:00pm - Museum Hour (@MuseumHour) on Twitter hosted by Chloe Anderson-Wheatley on behalf of ARA SAM. Theme: Collaboration
- Friday 21st May 2021 SAM AGM – including ‘In conversation with...’ panel discussion Challenges and Solutions of Documenting Mixed Collections
- Friday 14th May 2021, Marking and Labelling Objects (and their Containers) via Teams, led by Anita Hollinshead
- Friday 16th April, Friday 30th April 2021, ‘An Introduction to Mixed Collections Care’ and ‘Planning Exhibitions and Displays with Mixed Collections’ Two online half-day workshops.
- Thursday 28th January 2021, NEEMPG ‘Shout About It’ Event, via ZOOM
- Friday 20th November 2020 - How to Safely Handle, Pack, Move and Store Small Objects - Anita Hollinshead
- Thursday 29th October 2020, 8-9pm – Archive Hour on Twitter: session hosted by SAM. Theme: Overlap of Archival and Museum Skills see https://wakelet.com/wake/
- Friday 31st July 2020 - SAM Annual General Meeting and Committee Q&A – Free Online Event
- Tuesday 21st January 2020 – Bristol University Theatre Collection, Bristol; ‘The same but different’: Museum Collections Management for Archivists; Trainer: Anita Hollinshead
- Monday 13th May 2019 – Tate Britain, London; ARA Section for Specialist Repositories, training day and AGM, (including training day ‘The same but different’: Museum Collections Management for Archivists, Trainer: Anita Hollinshead)
Collaborations and Joint Events:
- Monday 10th May 2021, 1pm-1:45pm - Archives for Learning and Education lunchtime webinar - includes a presentation by Museum in the Park about their experience developing new remote learning sessions, for schools, in response to the pandemic.
- Monday 23rd November 2020 - Arch'Ive Connected: Using Archives in Exhibitions, with Dr Peter Lester, University of Leicester [with ARA Scotland]
See Group Documentation page for minutes of meetings and group terms of reference.