News and Events

Upcoming events and news will be posted here. Please note that we will always inform regional members first by email - if you are not receiving updates, please ensure the office has your correct and current email address.

Autumn Meeting  - 2020

The next virtual meeting of the south west region of the ARA will take place in the afternoon on Monday 9th November. All are welcome to attend. Please email Ally at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  to confirm your attendance no later than Friday 6th November and Ally will send out meeting details, with paperwork for the business meeting, a few days before the event.
 
At the end of the first presentation, you will see there will be a structured discussion around the theme of inclusion and change. We would like to hear examples of work which individuals and repositories are doing around this theme, so if you would like to contribute there will be a good amount of time here. We will also be having a general discussion about how individuals and repositories are getting on during the pandemic, which we did at our last meeting and it worked very well. If you would like to remain anonymous but still contribute to either discussion, please do send words to Ally beforehand and Ally will read them out.
 
You will also notice that we're trialling a longer session than our last virtual meeting, and including a break. We would love to receive feedback so that we know what works for members with virtual meetings.

  • 2:00-2:05 – Welcome to ARA South West Region, Lucy Powell, Chair
  • 2:05-2:45 – Rachael Minott, Inclusion and Change Manager, The National Archives, speaking about her work at TNA. This will be followed by a structured discussion (led by Rachael and Lucy) where others share examples of work which different individuals and repositories are doing around the theme of inclusion and change
  • 2.45-2.55 – Laurel Miller, Senior Engagement Manager National Lottery Heritage Fund, England: London and South
  • 2:55-3:10 – break
  • 3:10-3:40 – Jacqui Halewood and Jenny Barnard, Dorset History Centre – talk about environmental control at the History Centre (including time for questions)
  • 3:40-4:00 – discussion – updates on how Covid-19 is affecting repositories throughout the region.
  • 4:00-4:30 – business meeting. 

Summer Meeting - 2020

Our summer meeting and AGM was due to be held at the Dorset History Centre on Monday 13 July 2020, and instead of the planned day we are had our first virtual meeting via Zoom, with a focus on supporting members at this time. 

Spring Meeting - 2020

The Spring Meeting was cancelled due to COVID-19.

 


Upcoming non-ARA events in the region

Will be posted here.

As part of our work to offer greater crossover with heritage colleagues based in museums, we are working closely with the South West Federation of Museums and Art Galleries to provide joined-up training events in the future.  You can view the full list of their training events at: http://www.swfed.org.uk/training/museums-skills