The Section for Business Records is proud to support the National Strategy for Business Archives (England & Wales) and the National Strategy for Business Archives in Scotland.
The strategies look to promote, manage and exploit the archival legacy of British business. They seek to achieve this by:
- Raising awareness among businesses of the value of their records and archives, and providing guidance and support from the professional archive community.
- Increasing the number of corporate sector business archives and of business collections in public sector repositories.
- Raising the profile of business records with the public, and throughout the national archival network, while promoting wider usage and exploitation.
- Raising standards in the care of business archives through best practice exemplars, professional training and an improved funding and support infrastructure.
The strategies are supported by a wide range of national archive institutions and organisations including the Archives and Records Association, Business Archives Council, Business Archives Council of Scotland, Scottish Council on Archives, The National Archives and the National Records of Scotland.
SBR contribution to the strategies
Both strategies have implementation plans. The SBR is responsible for leading on and contributing to particular action points which are common across both strategies, as follows:
Developing stronger networks and partnerships:
- Develop partnerships between the corporate archives sector and public and university sectors to promote employee secondment, skills exchange, outreach support, information sharing on usage of archives, public relations, etc.
- Develop a stronger network of archivists working with business archives by organising/participating in professional events and conferences in London and regionally.
Leadership, education and professional training:
- Encourage wider training and continued professional development opportunities in business archives (including digital records).
Resourcing strategy implementation:
- Encourage public/private sector archivists' collaboration to take advantage of third party funding.
(From English & Welsh strategy)
Our 2012-2013 actions:
This year, the SBR is supporting the strategies by:
- Participating in the BAC's Meet the Archivists event (Nov-Dec 2013)
- Organising training for SBR members
- Using the ARA website, email list and newsletter to network with the business archives community
- Encouraging business archives' input into the TNA Archives Accreditation Scheme
- Representing business archives on the strategies implementation committees.
Last Updated (Thursday, 09 May 2013 12:32) Monday, 13 June 2011 08:58