12 NovARA Regional Meeting | Discovery Museum, NewcastleFrom : Monday, 12 November 2012 10:30
Until : Monday, 12 November 2012 16:00
April 8th 2013
Marks & Spencer Company Archives, University of Leeds
Business records form a core part of many an archive service. However, sometimes they are sadly, an unlovely part. Unfathomable ledgers. Accounts that seem to be just a string of numbers. Stocks, shares and dividends piled high. Orders, production statistics, purchase ledgers, cashbooks – the list seems to go on.
But, if Britain is anything, it's a nation built on commerce and industry. Business records form the heart and soul of our collections. And you wouldn't believe the fun you can have with those long strings of numbers.
This spring, the ARA Northern Region throws open the doors onto the best that business records can offer. Speakers include:
- Katharine Carter on the Marks & Spencer Company Archive
- Kimberley Benoy will be talking about the 'Taking Account of Our Past' project (Winner of the ARA 2012 Volunteering Award) to catalogue the Smith, Son & Wilkie chartered accountants collection.
- Sophie Clapp will be illustrating the ways in which the Boots archive supports the commercial activities of the business
- Vicky Stretch on the Network Rail Virtual Archive
- Karen Sayers, on the Everton Football Club records as a source of social history.
This special one day event will also include a tour around the Marks & Spencer Company Archive.
The cost will be just £2 for ARA members and £4 for non-members. To help keep costs low lunch will not be included but facilities will be available.
A full programme will be available soon but the day will begin at 10.30am and will close by 4pm at the latest. It will also include the ARA Northern Region business meeting.
So, hooray for incomings, hurrah for outgoings, and a marching band for management! The best of business is live in Leeds on April 8th.
Places are limited so please book quickly.
To book your place or if you have any queries please email email@example.com
Not just an ARA northern region meeting - an M&S ARA northern region meeting
There will be a Thanksgiving Service at midday on Monday 28th March at St. Andrew’s U.R.C. Church, Kenton, Newcastle NE3 4QJ. Richard requested that if desired, donations in lieu of flowers, be made to Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research.