The Archives & Records Association both holds and participates in many events throughout the year. Below you will see our complete programme of regional and themed training events with booking details
The science of conservation and restoration of cultural heritage on photographic support is a professional field that has been developed in the last thirty years. Despite being so new, it has assumed the responsibility to contribute, from numerous institutions and working groups, to the permanence of such heritage contained in photographic records. And so it has strengthened the criteria for identifying materials; it has established diagnostic techniques, intervention protocols and a methodology for the custody, access and cultural exploitation, all of this within the practice of the code of ethics of this profession.
Thirty years of research and scientific work have produced a huge amount of information, much of which is in full force while other has become obsolete or is out of the parameters of our code of ethics. However, its coexistence with the information contained in the Internet causes certain effects that need to be corrected.
Numerous professionals believe that the time has arrived to review our field, summarize its history and point out the direction which marks the immediate future of our activity.
We therefore propose the holding a conference whose proceedings allow to review how the different areas of our profession have developed and point out the operating lines of work for each of them.
ÁNGEL Mª FUENTES, Conference Director.
The International Conference will take place in the city of Logroño, Spain on 20-23June 2011 - For more information:
+34 941 209663
List of speakers and topics:
Jim Reilly. Director of the Image Permanence Institute, Rochester, New York
- Twenty-five years in the research of image permanence. Results of a quarter of a century of scientific work. New goals.
Paul Messier. Conservation of Photographs and Works on Paper.
- Photographic papers in the 20th Century. Methodology for their authentication, understanding and dating.
Debra Hess Norris. Chair and Professor of Photograph Conservation in the Art Conservation Department at the University of Delaware
- Global Needs in the Preservation of Photographic Materials.
Henry Wilhelm. Researcher and founder of WIR Wilhelm Imaging Research, Inc. which conducts research on the stability and preservation of traditional and digital color photographs and motion pictures.
- From tradicional to digital color, the problem of permanence. State of the question.
Nora Kennedy. Sherman Fairchild Conservator of Photographs at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- The role of photograph conservation in museums
Peter Mustardo. Head of the Preservation Section at the New York City Municipal Archives from 1985 to 1990, and the Regional Preservation Coordinator for the National Archives in Washington. He established his private practice in New York City in 1982 prior to co-founding The Better Image®.
- Evolution and methodology of restoration in private practice.
Grant Romer. Former Conservator and Director of Advanced Residency Program in Photograph Conservation, at the International Museum of Photograpphy and Film at the George Eastman House.
- And now, what? Past and future of museums in the strategy of conservation
Anne Cartier-Bresson. Director of the Atelier de Restauration et de Conservation des Photographies de la Ville de Paris.
- The model of the ARCP. Integral management of photographic collections in the city of Paris.
Bertrand Lavedrine. Director of the CRCC, Centre de recherche sur la conservation des collections.
- Scientific research as the foundation for the preservation of cultural heritage
Fernando Osorio. Director of Conservation of the Photographic Collections of Fundación Televisa AC
- The role of private institutions in photographic collections.
Joan Boadas i Raset. Director del Centre de Recerca i Difusió de la Imatge (CRDI) y representante del Consejo Internacional de Archivos (CIA) en el Coordinating Council of Audiovisual Archives Association (CCAA).
- The evolution of collection treatment in Spanish archives: a path to specialization.
Luis Pavao. Director of Luis Pavao Ltd., Lisbon, for the conservation-restoration of photographic Heritage and the professional training for the field.
- Evolution of working criteria in Portugal.
Jesús Robledano. Professor of library science and documentation at Carlos III University
- 25 years of digital conversión. State of the question.
Ángel Mª Fuentes. Conservator –restorer in private practice.
- Photography or photographic information? The impact of exhibition on original photographic prints. Evolution of the exhibition criteria and alternative techniques of cultural dissemination.
Clara Mª Prieto. Conservator-restorer of graphic and photographic documents.
- The Net, ¿A gold mine or a minefield?