ASLAWG (Archivists of Scottish Local Authorities Working Group)
ARA group for Scottish local government archivists and recordsmanagers.
ASLAWG (Archivists of Scottish Local Authorities Working Group) is the ARA group for Scottish local government archivists and records managers. We hold regular meetings throughout Scotland. All local authority archivists and records managers working in Scotland and members of ARA are welcome to join ASLAWG.
Our main aims are:
- To promote the preservation and use of local authority records
- To develop and share best practice in the management of local authority records
- To provide a network for mutual support and the exchange of ideas
- To respond to consultations impacting on local government record keeping
ASLAWG has two officers, a chair and a secretary, and works closely with ARA Scotland.
Our Chair is an ex-officio member of the ARA Scotland Executive Committee. Our equivalent group in England and Wales is CALG (Chief Archivists in Local Government).
Our current membership stands at 44 archivists and records managers and most of Scotland's 32 local authorities are represented.
ASLAWG tries to provide a common approach to anything concerning local authority archives and records. We also respond to consultations, produce guidance documents and liaise with other relevant bodies regarding local government records. The main issues we are currently working on are:
- Record keeping aspects of the Scottish Child Abuse Public Inquiry
- Preservation of 'born digital' local authority records
Apart from these formal activities, members are always there to help each other out with any one-off queries. Meetings also provide an opportunity to chat to colleagues in the profession, as many of us are the sole archivist or records manager in our organisation.
We meet three times a year in venues around Scotland.
Janice Miller, Chair, ASLAWG